World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Woo Bum-kon

Woo Bum-kon
Born February 24, 1955
Busan, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea
Died April 27, 1982(1982-04-27) (aged 27)
Uiryeong, South Korea
Cause of death
Occupation Police officer
Date April 26 – 27, 1982
c. 9:30 p.m. – 3:40 a.m.
Location(s) Uiryeong, South Korea
Killed 57 (including himself)
Injured 35
Weapon(s) Two M2 carbines
Seven hand grenades
Woo Bum-kon
Hangul 우범곤
Hanja 禹範坤
Revised Romanization U Beom-gon
McCune–Reischauer U Pǒmgon

Woo Bum-kon (or Wou Bom-kon) (February 24, 1955 – April 27, 1982) was a South Korean police officer who killed 56 people and wounded 35 others in several villages in Uiryeong County, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea, during the night from April 26 to April 27, 1982, before committing suicide.[1]

His rampage remained the deadliest known mass murder committed by a lone gunman in modern history until the Norway attacks of July 22, 2011.[2]


  • Background 1
  • Uiryeong massacre 2
    • Prelude 2.1
    • Rampage begins 2.2
    • Police response, suspect's death 2.3
    • Immediate aftermath 2.4
    • Victims 2.5
  • Aftermath 3
  • See also 4
  • References 5
  • External links 6


Woo had served in the South Korean Marines until 1978. In December 1980 he was hired by the National Police in Pusan and settled in the village of Torongni in December 1981, after being transferred to the local police station in Kungyu.[3][4]

Uiryeong massacre


Woo had an argument with his live-in girlfriend, Chun Mal-soon (전말순), on the afternoon of April 26, 1982, after she had woken him by swatting a fly on his chest. Enraged, he left the house and went to the police station, where he reported for duty at 4:00 p.m. According to early reports, he began drinking heavily, though eyewitnesses later stated that Woo did not appear drunk during his rampage, and according to local officials, he would have been unable to cover 4 km of difficult, rocky terrain while intoxicated.

At about 7:30 p.m., Woo returned home, punched and kicked his girlfriend and smashed the furniture, before making his way to the reservists' armory and gathered an arsenal, consisting of two M2 carbines, 144 or 180 rounds of ammunition, and seven hand grenades. Some reports stated that the other officers were at a meeting, and he therefore managed to grab the weapons unnoticed,[5] though others mentioned that he had intimidated the guards to gain access.

Rampage begins

At approximately 9:30 p.m., Woo shot his first victim, 26-year old Son Jin-tae (손진태), who was standing outside the police station in Kungryu (궁류). He then entered the local post office, where he killed three phone operators and cut off the telephone lines to prevent others from calling emergency services. He next went to Torongni, where he threw a grenade and shot at passers-by in the marketplace, killing six people. He also wounded Chun Mal-soon, who had gone to investigate after hearing shots in the village. From that point on, he proceeded from village to village, taking advantage of his position as a police officer to gain entry to the houses and shoot their inhabitants.

At 10:30 p.m., Woo took 18-year-old Kim Ju-dong (김주동) hostage and moved to Ungye-Ri (운계리), where he ordered the boy to get him a soft drink from a grocery store owned by 52-year-old Shin We-do (신외도). After getting what he had asked for, Woo killed the boy and then attacked the store owner and his family. Shin We-do managed to escape after being shot in the leg, though his wife Son Won-jeom (손원점) and his daughters Chang-sun (창순) and Su-jeong (수정) were killed.[6] Woo continued his shooting at the market-place, killing a total of 18 people in that village, before making his way towards Pyongchon-Ni (평촌리).

At Pyongchon-Ni, he shot a family of four in their beds and then went to a house, where a wake was in progress. When the owner of the house saw the armed policeman and asked what had happened, Woo explained that there was an alert as North Korean agents had been spotted. The man invited Woo into the house for dinner, during which the latter complained about his small salary and his transfer from Pusan to the countryside. Woo eventually began shooting at the guests after one of them had remarked that his ammunition didn't look real. He killed twelve people in the house and a further eight in the streets, thus leaving a total of 24 people dead in Pyongchon.

Police response, suspect's death

Although police were alerted within minutes of the first shots being fired, it took them an hour to gather a team of 37 officers to search for the gunman, and the national police headquarters in Seoul were not informed until 1:40 a.m.[7] Around that time, just 2.5 miles from the police station in Kungryu, Woo found refuge in a farmhouse belonging to 68-year-old Suh In-Su (서인수), whom he told that he was chasing a Communist infiltrator, and that the family should gather in the main room of the house so he could protect them. When the family gathered at his request, he held them hostage.

Two hours later, police eventually caught up with him, and as forces closed in, Woo detonated two grenades, killing himself and three of his hostages. Mr. Suh himself survived gravely injured.[8] Four rounds of ammunition and one hand grenade were recovered by police from inside the farmhouse.[6]

Immediate aftermath

When the rampage finally ended, 55 people and Woo himself were dead, while 36 others were wounded, six of them seriously. One of the injured, a child who had been shot, died on May 8, bringing the number of people killed by the gunman to 56. At that time, 35 people were still being treated in hospitals in Jinju and Masan.[9]

Chun Mal-soon later said that her boyfriend "suffered from an inferiority complex and had been bothered by villagers' comments on their living together unmarried". Later on, the provincial chief of police was suspended, and four other officers were arrested for negligence of duty.[3][10]


Those known to have been killed in the rampage are:
  • Son Jin-tae (손진태), 26
  • Jeon Un-suk (전은숙), 23
  • Park Kyung-suk (박경숙), 19
  • Jeon Jin-seok (전진석), 36
  • Jeon In-bae (전인배)
  • Gang Pan-im (강판임), 51
  • Kim Ju-dong (김주동), 18
  • Son Won-jeom (손원점), 51
  • Shin Chang-sun (신창순), 13, daughter of Son Won-jeom
  • Shin Su-jeong (신수정), 10, daughter of Son Won-jeom


The Interior Minister of South Korea, Suh Chung-hwa and the national police chief, A Eung-mo, offered to resign as a form of atonement for Woo's rampage.[3] Suh Chung-hwa, being held responsible for the incident by president Chun Doo-hwan, laid his office down on April 29, and Roh Tae-woo was appointed Interior Minister.[1][7]

A special parliamentary team was formed, consisting of 19 parliamentarians and led by Home Affairs Committee chairman Kim Chong-hoh, to investigate the shooting and its disastrous handling by the police.[7] Furthermore the South Korean Cabinet decided to pay compensations to the victims and their families.[11]

See also


  1. ^ a b "South Korean Shootings Lead Minister to Resign". Around the World article from The New York Times, April 29, 1982.
  2. ^ Norway massacre 'work of a madman', (July 23, 2011)
  3. ^ a b c Cop kills 55 after quarrel with mistress, New Straits Times (April 28, 1982)
  4. ^ Berserk Korean policeman kills 62, Gainesville Sun (April 27, 1982)
  5. ^ Berserk South Korea cop slay total of 56 people, Lodi News-Sentinel (April 28, 1982)
  6. ^ a b Korean policeman's rampage leaves 58 dead, The Daily Union (April 27, 1982)
  7. ^ a b c Minister sacked over massacre, New Straits Times (April 29, 1982)
  8. ^ Ricochet from a rampage, Far Eastern Economic Review (May 7, 1982)
  9. ^ Murder toll rises to 56, The Straits Times (May 10, 1982)
  10. ^ Seoul is stunned by policeman's slaying of 56, The New York Times (April 28, 1982)
  11. ^ Victims of amok slayings to get compensation, New Straits Times (April 30, 1982) (p.8)

External links

  • Woo Bum-Kon at
  • Korean policeman goes berserk, kills 58 people, The Deseret News (April 27, 1982) (p. 1)
  • Korean cop's rampage leaves 58 dead, Ocala Star-Banner (April 27, 1982)
  • Korean policeman's rampage kills 58, Boca Raton News (April 27, 1982)
  • Berserk Korean policeman kills 62, Gainesville Sun (April 27, 1982)
  • Drunken South Korean policeman kills 62, The Ledger (April 27, 1982)
  • Berserk cop kills 53, Ellensburg Daily Record (April 27, 1982)
  • Korean cop massacres 58, Eugene Register-Guard (April 27, 1982)
  • Funerals begin for 57 victims of massacre by Korean cop, Ocala Star-Banner (April 28, 1982)
  • Korean massacre area flooded with donations, Eugene Register-Guard (April 28, 1982)
  • Korean's shooting rampage triggered by swat of a fly, St. Petersburg Times (April 28, 1982)
  • Death toll in rampage put at 62, The Age (April 28, 1982)
  • Drunken Korean kills 58, The Free-Lance Star (April 27, 1982)
  • 28명 죽이고 초상집 문상… 부의금 3000원 낸 뒤 또 난사, The Hankyoreh (April 13, 2012)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.