World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

324th Fighter Group

324th Fighter Group

324th Fighter Group Insignia
Active 1942–1945
Country  United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces
Role Fighter
Part of Twelfth Air Force
Motto Audeo (Dare, Act Boldly, Go With Courage)
Engagements Mediterranean Theater

The 324th Fighter Group is an inactive United States Army Air Forces unit. Its last assignment was with XII Air Support Command, stationed at Fliegerhorst Stuttgart-Echterdingen (R-50), Germany. It was inactivated on 7 November 1945. The group motto "AUDEO" is Latin for "I DARE".

During World War II, the group served in combat with Twelfth and Ninth Air Force, primarily in the Mediterranean, African, and The Middle East Theatres. It was a highly decorated organization, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm for supporting French forces during the campaigns for Italy and France, 1944–1945.

History

The unit was constituted as the 324th Fighter Group on 24 June 1942 and activated on 6 July 1942. It moved to the Middle East between October and December of 1942 for operations with Ninth Air Force and trained for several weeks with P-40 aircraft. While headquarters remained in Egypt, the squadrons of the group began operating with other organizations against the enemy in Tunisia. Reunited in June 1943, the 324th group engaged primarily in escort and patrol missions between Tunisia and Sicily until July 1943. It received a Distinguished Unit Citation (DUC) for action against the enemy from March 1943 to the invasion of Sicily.

The unit trained from July to October of 1943 for operations with the Twelfth Air Force. It resumed combat on 30 October 1943 and directed most of its attacks against roads, bridges, motor transports, supply areas, rolling stock, gun positions, troop concentrations, and rail facilities in Italy until August 1944. During the assault on Anzio in January 1944, it patrolled the beaches and protected convoys. It aided the Allied offensive in Italy during May of 1944, receiving another DUC during the Battle of Monte Cassino for action from 12 to 14 May when the group bombed an enemy position on Monastery Hill, attacked troops massing on the hill for counterattack, and hit a nearby stronghold to force the surrender of an enemy garrison.

The 324th continued to give close support to ground forces until the fall of Rome in June 1944. Aircraft were converted to P-47's in July and supported the assault on southern France in August by dive-bombing gun position, bridges, and radar facilities, and by patrolling the combat zone. The unit attacked such targets as motor transports, rolling stock, rail lines, troops, bridges, gun emplacements, and supply depots after the invasion, giving tactical support to Allied forces advancing through France. The unit aided the reduction of the Colmar bridgehead in January and February of 1945, and supported Seventh Army's drive through the Siegfried defenses in March. It received the French Croix de Guerre with Palm for supporting French forces during the campaigns for Italy and France in 1944 and 1945.

The 324th Fighter Group returned to the United States between October and November of 1945 and was inactivated in November, 1945.

Lineage

  • Constituted as: 324th Fighter Group on 24 June 1942
Activated on 6 July 1942
Inactivated on 7 November 1945

Assignments

Attached to: Philadelphia Fighter Wing, 6 July – 8 October 1942
Attached to: Royal Air Force Middle East Command, December 1942-25 October 1943
Attached to:XII Air Support Command, 8 May – 20 October 1945

Operational Units

  • 314th Fighter Squadron: 6 July 1942 – 7 November 1945
  • 315th Fighter Squadron: 6 July 1942 – 7 November 1945
  • 316th Fighter Squadron: 6 July 1942 – 7 November 1945

Aircraft flown

Stations

References

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Johnson, David C. (1988), U.S. Army Air Forces Continental Airfields (ETO), D-Day to V-E Day; Research Division, USAF Historical Research Center, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.